Behind the Proteas

Posted on/at 12:34 PM by Anonymous



 “This has been an incredible sporting year for South Africa and now it’s cricket’s turn to host a global sporting showcase with the ICC Champions Trophy coming to South Africa in the wake of the British and Irish Lions tour and the Confederations Cup. The Springboks very closely follow the fortunes of our cricket and soccer teams and we’ll be cheering the Proteas every step of the way. Graeme Smith has an outstanding collection of talent at his disposal and after their successes of the past 12 months, I know they’ll be looking to start their new season with a bang. The fact that the ICC has chosen South Africa to step in and host the tournament is a great feather in the cap for our country as well, and proves once again what an outstanding venue South Africa is when it comes to hosting the world’s most prestigious sports events,” - John Smit, Springboks Captain




I think most South African sports people like to support each other. Coming from an individual sport like swimming, that’s very important. Events like the Champions Trophy are great because they show the public what talent is out there. We don’t have many big events like that in swimming in South Africa where people can see the best in the world in action. It’s one thing watching it on TV, but it’s so much better to be able to watch it live. I think South Africa’s chances are pretty good – I’ll definitely be supporting them. I’ve been told Graeme Smith is my look-alike so I’ll be hoping he keeps our image high” - Cameron van der Burgh, SA Swimming World Record-holder




I’m going to watch South Africa against New Zealand on Thursday and I’m really looking forward to it. With so much history and diversity in our country, I think it’s very important that the national teams support each other. I think it’s fantastic that we’re hosting an event like the Champions Trophy which gives the public a chance to see all these top teams,” -Marsha Marescia, SA Women’s Hockey Captain




 “During the Confederations Cup we saw a lot of new faces in the stadiums and I think with big events like that, and the ICC Champions Trophy, the public really get behind the team. Everyone likes to win – it doesn’t matter what sport it is. We’re the favourites to win it and playing at home which makes a huge difference – that’s what we experienced in the Confederations Cup. I think that without a doubt, events like the Champions Trophy are a showcase for the country and just add to the numerous events that we have hosted successfully. I think the football officials will be watching very closely and maybe learning from this ahead of hosting the biggest sports event in the world next year.” -Matthew Booth, Bafana Bafana Player

0 comments: